2007-10-28: Released 18.104.22.16805.
New: Windows now have a label, background color, and border. All are customizable.
Labels can display the following information:
- Filename of the application.
- Window icon.
- Number shortcut.
- Memory used in megabytes.
- Process name.
- Window title.
New: The first 9 windows can be activated by pressing the respective number on the keyboard.
New: Filters can be applied to narrow down the windows that appear. They can also
be toggled during a session. Available filters:
The default shortcut to remove all filters is Ctrl+R.
Search by window title (default shortcut Ctrl+F, or simply type to automatically display the search box).
You can search using regular expressions (an obscure feature that I keep forgetting about).
Exclude minimized windows (default shortcut Ctrl+M).
Hide a particular window (default shortcut Ctrl+H).
Show only the windows belonging to a certain program (default shortcut Ctrl+W).
New: You can now close windows during a session (default shortcut Alt+F4 or middle-click a window).
New: Added Grid View, which arranges windows in a grid. It is intended to make the window numbers
easier to use.
New: Mouse shortcuts can now be restricted to a certain monitor instead of applying to all monitors.
New: Added the "Begin and Select Next" command that begins a session and selects the next window.
Change: Animations may appear smoother due to using a different method of smoothing stuff.
Change: The default shortcut for minimizing all windows except the selected one changed
from middle-clicking anywhere to right-clicking on a window.
Beware: middle-clicking a window will now close it.
Change: Reorganized settings into tabs.
There may be other changes that I've missed.
2007-9-1: Released 2.0.2202 BETA.
2007-5-26: Released 22.214.171.1244.
New: Mouse shortcuts can now have required keyboard modifiers:
Control, Shift, Alt, and the Windows key.
This lets you create shortcuts such as Ctrl+Middle click.
New: Settings now upgrade across versions. The settings are unique
to wherever you placed Switcher, so they will not upgrade if you move
the Switcher executable around.
New: Added setting to hide notification tray icon for Switcher.
You can either right-click the icon and select Hide, or uncheck the
Show tray icon checkbox in the main window.
Change: Throughout the UI, input triggers are now called shortcuts.
I feel the latter is a better-known term.
Change: Cleaned up UI in Input Settings dialog. It should be less cluttered
and confusing. Added tooltips.
Change: Starting secondary instance of Switcher now activates and shows
the existing instance.
Change: Pressing Esc in Tile view now does not change the activated window.
Previously it would activate whatever window your mouse had moved over.
Change: Dock view doesn't magnify windows in its dock anymore.
Fix: Regression: Sidebar Gadgets were not appearing properly.
Fix: Input Settings dialog should now work with Window Blinds instead of crashing.
Fix: The main window had conflicting accelerator keys.
Fix: Control Panel applets wouldn't activate after selecting them.
Fix: Paint.NET toolbars were incorrectly showing up as background windows.
Fix: Skype when minimized now shows up as a window.
Fix: When taskbar is at the top, selection animation for minimized windows was
incorrectly offsetted vertically.
Fix: Mouse buttons 1 and 2 now work properly for global shortcuts.
Fix: Registry Run key is now only modified when changed instead of on every startup.
Previously this would cause a lot of redundant events in Windows Defender.
2007-5-19: Released 126.96.36.1996 BETA.
2007-5-19: Released 188.8.131.526 BETA.
2007-4-28: Released 184.108.40.2067.
New: Fully customizable keyboard and mouse input settings.
There are three types of input triggers you can bind to commands:
I've added some useful input bindings:
Keyboard: Activated by pressing a hot key.
Supports most keys, including the Windows, Escape, Delete, Enter, and number pad keys.
Screen Mouse: Activated by mouse activity on the screen.
Supports mouse clicking, movement, and wheel scrolling.
Also supports left, middle, right, and two additional mouse buttons.
Window Mouse: Activated by mouse activity over a thumbnail window or the background.
- Middle-clicking will select the current window and minimize everything else.
- Clicking the background minimizes all windows. You can also press Windows+D or Windows+M to do this.
Pressing Windows+CapsLock starts Switcher in a mode that stops Switcher when you release all keys.
This functions similarly to Alt+Tab and Win+Tab.
New: Some advanced settings now appear in the Switcher main window to make modifying them easier:
- Default window view. Yup, no more figuring out how to get to tile view.
- Edge of screen to dock windows in dock view.
- Behavior of docked windows in dock view.
- Automatically start at logon.
- Include minimized windows.
- Animation duration.
- Show the desktop.
New: There are now 4 different options for showing the desktop:
- None: Do not show the desktop and background windows.
- In the background: Shows the desktop in the background when switching.
- As a window: Shows the desktop as a selectable window. Selecting the desktop minimizes all other windows.
- In the background and as a window: Shows the desktop both in the background and as a selectable window.
New: Tile View now arranges windows on all available monitors instead of only the primary monitor.
- New: Added the RememberLastView setting.
- Fix: Fixed crash caused by changing views while session is ending.
- Fix: Pressing Windows key when session is active won't display Start menu anymore.
Fix: Default view setting is now saved if you exit Switcher without changing any other setting.
This can occur if you shutdown/restart the computer.
- Fix: Google Talk doesn't make windows look small in tile view anymore.
- Fix: Winamp doesn't make windows look small in tile view anymore.
Fix: Vista Virtual Desktops' hidden window doesn't show up as a selectable window anymore.
Fix: Wacom tablet's tooltips don't show up as selectable windows anymore.
Fix: An invisible window doesn't show up anymore in Switcher when Skype is running.
- Change: Replaced DockViewClickToSelect advanced setting with DockViewSelectMode. There are now three options:
- ClickSelect: Click a window to select it.
- ClickEnd: Click a window to select it and end the session.
- HoverSelect: Hover mouse over a window to select it.
- Change: Removed meaningless values from the DockViewDockEdge advanced setting.
- Change: Warning now displayed if Aero is disabled.
- Change: Default view is now tile view. Some people were having a difficult time finding it.
Change: Added TileViewPadding advanced setting to control padding between windows in tile view.
The default is 5% of screen width.
Change: Added ScreenMouseTriggerCornerEdgeSize advanced setting to control the size of mouse hot corners and edges.
The default is 4 pixels.
Change: Changed default animation duration from 0.25 to 0.4 seconds. This makes transition appear smoother.
2007-4-22: Released 220.127.116.110 BETA.
2007-4-19: Released 18.104.22.1681 BETA.
2007-3-22: Released 22.214.171.1248.
- New: Multimon support.
- Change: The DebugCopyRectanglesToClipboard setting now also saves screen resolution.
- Change: Reduced .msi and .exe size by removing the 256x256 PNG icon, which wasn't displaying anyway.
- Fix: Double-clicking tray icon when Switcher main dialog is minimized now also restores the dialog.
Fix: Adjusted tile view algorithm to fix overlapping problems.
If you still see windows overlapping, see the FAQ for info on how to help.
Fix: Other minor optimizations.
2007-3-11: Released 126.96.36.1990. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and bug reports.
New: Added settings to configure the dock view:
- DockViewClickToSelect: Choose between clicking a window or hovering mouse over it to select; old behavior is still the default.
- DockViewDockPadding: Spacing between window and dock area edge.
- DockViewDockSize: Size of the dock area.
- DockViewDockStyle: Edge of the screen at which windows are docked.
Change: Tile view now tabs through windows by row and column; previously this was by z-order, but since the windows
may be rearranged anywhere, the z-ordering looked random.
- Change: Default transition duration is now 0.25 seconds.
- Change: You can now start Switcher by clicking the logo in the main window.
- Fix: Non-application windows such as Sidebar gadgets and the round Start menu button now show up when switching.
- Fix: Hotkey+Shift shortcut was not working.
Fix: Clicking in dock and tile views were inconsistent. Basically now you can use keyboard and mouse to cycle
through windows with expected behavior. Also, clicking on empty area in dock view now dismisses Switcher.
- Fix: Switching to a maximized window that is minimized did not perform the proper restore animation.
- Fix: Clicking "Include minimized windows" did not automatically save settings.
- Fix: Fixed a case where sometimes windows in tile view overlap.
- Fix: Alt+F4 doesn't close Switcher session anymore. Previously this caused Switcher to be unable to start new sessions, and a crash when Switcher exited.
- Fix: A bunch of other minor fixes.
2007-2-27: Released 188.8.131.524.
- Added workaround for crash on x64, this time to the release build everyone gets.
2007-2-27: Released 184.108.40.2061.
- Added workaround for crash on x64.
2007-2-24: Released 220.127.116.114.
2007-2-23: Released 18.104.22.1684 BETA.